The origin of the World’s Poultry Science Association goes back to the early years of the 20th century with the foundation of the International Association of Poultry Instructors on July 18, 1912. Although the main impetus for the establishment of such an organization came from the UK and the USA, the 19 participants attending this first
meeting represented 14 nations – Australia, Belgium, Canada, Cyprus, Denmark, France, Germany, India, Ireland, the Netherlands, Norway, Russia, the UK and the USA. At this meeting Edward Brown (UK) was named President and Raymond
Pearl (USA) the Secretary. Part of the text of the Presidential inaugural speech was reproduced in 1945 (World’s
Poultry Science Journal 1:
Among the subsequent landmarks in its history, the following summary illustrates some of the ways in which the Association has responded to the many changes in poultry production, poultry education and poultry science that have taken place throughout the twentieth century. Much of the information comes from a detailed account by Dr A.W.
Jasper (Association President 1974 – 78) in a paper published in 1978 (World’s Poultry Science Journal.
FIRST WORLD POULTRY CONGRESS
Due to the hostilities of the First World War, plans for an international gathering of poultrymen in 1916 were abandoned. Thus it was not until the First World’s Poultry Congress held in the Hague, the Netherlands in 1921, that the organization started to become really active. The delegate list for this event shows 384 names representing 23 countries. The spirit of international collaboration established at that time has continued to be a strong characteristic of the Association ever since. The series started in 1921 at three-year, and later, four-year, intervals has now reached twenty-one.
The XXIIIrd will take place in Brisbane, Australia, June 29-July 4, 2008. From the first, these scientific and technical events have been associated with exhibitions of poultry and the commercial sector, so helping to strengthen the bridges between science and practice.
The sequences of World Poultry Congresses and Association officers holders appear as well. In 1927, at the third Congress, in Ottawa, Fred C. Elford became the Association’s second President, Edward Brown having been confirmed in that office in 1921 and again at the second Congress in Barcelona in 1924. In 1928, the name of the organization became the World’s Poultry Science Association.
FORMATION OF BRANCHES
Following a suggestion by Dr W.P. Blount (UK) in 1946 (World’s Poultry Science Journal
2: 113), the first national branch of the Association was formed on October 23, 1946. At that time the two countries with the largest WPSA membership (each around 100) were the USA and the UK. In both there was a rapidly developing interest in poultry production and poultry science. In the USA the long established Poultry Science Association was providing a forum for discussion and a focus for activity, so it was logical that the first branch should emerge in the UK. Very soon other countries also formed branches and today there are over 80.
One time payment for life membership
$30 PER YEAR
For any person interested in the objective of WPS.
For Organization and institutions.
$50 PER 5 YEAR
For Students membership for 5 Year